Harrisburg: Gedruckt bey Johan Wyeth Buchhändler in Harrisburg, bey Conrad Doll, Lancaster, und bey Jacob Doll, Yorktaum, 1810, 1815. Item #544
Oblong 8vo. 145 x 285 mm., [5 ¾ x 11 inches]. Contemporary leather spine over marbled paper boards; spine cracked and boards loose but only partially intact, partial loss of marbled paper on both boards; paper stock aged brown. Ownership mark of David Stauffer, with inscriptions dated 1840 and 1850. With faults a complete copy. Harrisburg: Gedruckt bey Johan Wyeth, 1815. WITH: . Oblong 8vo. 145 x 265 mm., [5 ¾ 10 ½ inches]; 120 pp. Contemporary leather spine blue paper covered boards; binding a bit scuffed and soiled, paper stock toned brown with age, otherwise a very good copy. Together two parts published in two volumes five years apart; rare survival. Doll’s two volumes of church music are the earliest German language music books to use type to print the notes. The type font was called four-shape note system. It copied the type created and first used by Little and Smith in The Easy Instructor published in 1801 and was used by John Wyeth without acknowledgement. In addition to introducing this type to the Pennsylvania German tune-book tradition, Wyeth was responsible for the development of Southern folk hymnody. E. C. Wolf records that the 1810 edition was reprinted in 1814 and again in 1821; in 1815 a second volume was issued with a similar title but different content.” Shaw and Shoemaker, American Bibliography, 19986, 34588, Arndt, German Language Printing, 1736, 2081. E. C. Wolf, Lutheran Hymnody and Music Published in America, p. 178.