New York: Printed by James Van Norden, 1838. Item #423
8vo. 220 x 140 mm., (8 ¾ x 5 ½ inches). xxviii, 328 pp., plus 8 pp. of by-laws pinned to the final blank. Publisher’s cloth, leather label; cloth shows some wear, label faded, otherwise sound and attractive.
The New York Society Library was founded in 1754, after receiving a gift of the library of the Rev. Millington of Newington, England. The first catalogue was prepared and published in 1813, listing about 13,000 books, with a supplement issued in 1825 including an additional 3,000 titles. This, the second catalogue, demonstrates the growth of the institution and the development of its library into a collection of 25,000 volumes by 1838.
The catalogue was written by the Librarian Philip Jones Forbes with the assistance of John W. Palmer. In addition to provided short title list of the collection, including some annotations, Forbes includes an “Analytical Catalogue”, which acts as a subject list outlining the classification of the Library. Categories include Theology, Science, the Arts, Belle Lettres, History, Geography and Voyages, and a collection of thousands of pamphlets on political issues, New York City, slavery, education, and biography to name the most prominent subjects areas collected.
It is of interest that in this copy the eight pages of By-Laws are secured to the final blank with a straight pin. (423).